Of the many prayers recorded in scripture, Colossians 1.5-12 contains my favorite “outline” to pray for myself, my family, my friends and co-workers, and many others.
It begins with Paul saying “we haven’t stopped praying for you.” Convicts me as I remember people for whom I’ve not prayed, and wonder how many people I’ve told “I’ll be praying for you” and fail to follow through.
Then come specific requests:
- He asks “that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding…”
- That prayer helps us “walk worthy” of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him”
- Part of that pleasing is we are “bearing fruit in every good work”
- And even as we bear fruit we are “growing in the knowledge of God”
- Which allows us to be “strengthened with power according to His glorious might”
- Which will give us “great endurance and patience“
- So we may “joyfully give thanks to the Father…”
There it is…covers a lot of bases…and thus I often pray it for myself and others.
Perhaps it would be of help to you in your times of prayer?